ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title
Establishment of the Board
3. Establishment of Board
4. Membership of Board
5. Terms of office of members
6. Payment of members
7. Meetings of Board
8. Members to declare financial interest
9. Appointment of general manager and other staff
Functions of the Board
10. Functions of Board
11. Funds of Board
12. Stabilization fund
13. Development fund
14. Financial policy of Board
16. Accounts and audit
17. Annual report
20. Amendment of Schedules
First Schedule - Scheduled Produce
Second Schedule - Meetings of the Board
Act 2, 1974,
S.I. 87, 1974,
S.I. 1, 1977,
S.I. 66, 1981.
An Act to provide for the establishment of a board to be known as the Botswana Agricultural Marketing Board, to provide for its powers, functions and duties and for matters incidental thereto and connected therewith.
[Date of Commencement: 14th June, 1974]
Preliminary (ss 1-2)
This Act may be cited as the Botswana Agricultural Marketing Board Act.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires-
"Board" means the Botswana Agricultural Marketing Board established under section 3;
"chairman" means the member designated as such by the Minister under section 4(1);
"deputy chairman" means the member designated as such by the Minister under section 4(1);
"development fund" means the development fund established under section 13(1);
"member" means a member of the Board;
"scheduled produce" means the produce specified in the First Schedule;
"stabilization fund" means the stabilization fund established under section 12(1).
Establishment of the Board (ss 3-9)
There is hereby established a Board to be known as the Botswana Agricultural Marketing Board, which shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal, with power to sue and be sued and to purchase, hold, manage and dispose of land and other property for the purposes of performing its functions and exercising its power under this Act and for those purposes entering into such contracts as it may consider necessary or expedient.
(1) The Board shall consist of not less than eight nor more than 10 members appointed by the Minister, of whom one member shall be designated by the Minister as chairman and one member shall be designated by the minister as deputy chairman.
(2) No person shall be appointed to be a member of the Board-
(a) if he has been declared insolvent or bankrupt under any law in any country and has not been rehabilitated or discharged, or has made a composition with his creditors and has not paid his debts in full;
(b) if he is incapacitated by physical or mental illness or infirmity from performing his functions as a member;
(c) if he has been sentenced to imprisonment without the option of a fine or has been convicted of any offence involving dishonesty; or
(d) if he is a Member of the National Assembly.
(3) Every appointment to the Board shall be published in the Gazette.
(1) Subject to the provisions of this section, the members of the Board shall hold office for such period not exceeding three years as the Minister may in each case specify.
(2) A member of the Board shall cease to hold office-
(a) if, after appointment as such, he ceases to be eligible for appointment by virtue of sectio
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.
Please click here to login