ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title
Establishment of College
3. Establishment of College
4. Board of Governors
5. Powers and functions of the College
6. Seal of the College
7. Disqualification, resignation and removal
8. Filling of casual vacancy
9. Disclosure of interest
10. Proceedings of the Board
12. Committees of the Board
13. Remuneration and allowances
Officers, Academic Staff and Employees
14. The Director
15. Powers of the Director
16. Appointment and conditions of service
17. Academic qualifications of academic staff
Programmes and Students of the College
18. Programmes and courses of the College
19. Teaching methods
20. Medium of instruction
21. Qualification for admission
22. Revenues of the College
23. Financial year
24. Accounts and audit
25. Annual report
27. Transitional provisions
28. Winding up of College
Act 20, 1998.
An Act to provide for the establishment of the Botswana College of Distance and Open Learning, to provide for its powers, duties and functions and for matters incidental thereto.
[Date of Commencement: 31st December, 1998]
Preliminary (ss 1-2)
This Act may be cited as the Botswana College of Distance and Open Learning Act.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires-
"Board" means the Board of the College appointed under section 4;
"Chairperson" means the Chairperson of the Board appointed under section 4;
"College" means the Botswana College of Distance and Open Learning established under section 3;
"Director" means the Chief Executive of the College appointed under section 14;
"distance learning" means a mode of delivering education to persons situated at a distance from the College, without such persons necessarily attending classes;
"member" means a member of the Board appointed under section 4;
"regional centres" means designated places within the country for providing support services to the students of the College.
Establishment of College (ss 3-13)
(1) There is hereby established a college to be known as the Botswana College of Distance and Open Learning.
(2) The College shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal, capable of suing and being sued in its own name and, subject to the provisions of this Act, of performing such acts as bodies corporate may by law perform.
(1) There shall be a Board appointed by the Minister to carry out the powers and functions of the College.
(2) The Board shall consist of 13 members appointed as follows-
(a) 10 members nominated by their respective organisations as follows:
(i) two persons to represent the Ministry of Education;
(ii) a representative of the Directorate of Public Service Management;
(iii) a representative of the Botswana Training Authority;
(iv) a representative of the Ministry of Labour and Home Affairs;
(v) a representative of the Ministry of Finance and Development Planning;
(vi) a representative of the Botswana Federation of Trade Unions;
(vii) a representative of the Centre for Continuing Education;
(viii) a college staff representative; and
(ix) a private tertiary institution representative;
(b) two persons representing the private sector of the Minister's predilection; and
(c) the Director, who shall be an ex-officio member.
(3) The Minister shall designate one member to the Chairperson from among
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.
Please click here to login