ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title
Establishment, Constitution and Membership of the
3. Establishment of the Corporation
5. Resignation and removal from office
6. Tenure of office
7. Payment of members
Meetings and Proceedings of the Corporation
8. Presiding officer
10. Signification of documents
Officers, Employees and Agents of the Corporation
11. Appointment of officers and employees
12. Delegation to committee
Functions, Powers and Duties of the Corporation
13. Functions and powers
14. Co-operation with authorities
15. Research and records
16. Power of Minister to give directions
17. Principles of financial operations
18. Fixing of tariffs
19. Borrowing powers
20. Vesting of property in the Corporation
21. Liability to pay tax, etc.
22. Accounts and audit
23. Annual report
24. Compulsory acquisition of land
25. Re-settlement measures
26. Compensation for loss or damage
27. Power to call for information
29. Protection from personal liability
Act 23, 1970,
Act 20, 1971,
Act 29, 1973,
Act 15, 2016,
S.I. 131, 2016.
An Act to provide for the establishment of a corporation to be known as the Botswana Power Corporation for the generation and supply of electric power and to provide for matters incidental thereto and connected therewith.
[Date of Commencement: 30th June, 1970]
Preliminary (ss 1-2)
This Act may be cited as the Botswana Power Corporation Act.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires-
"Authority" means the Botswana Energy Regulatory established under the Botswana Energy Regulatory Authority Act;
"Corporation" means the Botswana Power Corporation established under section 3;
"financial year" means the year ending on the 31st March in each year;
"Government electricity undertakings" means works established and arrangements concluded by the Government for the purpose of supplying electricity to communities and enterprises in Botswana;
"main transmission lines" means all cables and overhead lines, whether constructed or due to be constructed, for the transmission of electricity from a generating station to any other generating station or to a substation, together with any step-up or step-down transformers and switch-gear necessary to and used for the control of such cables or overhead lines, and the buildings, or such part thereof as may be required to accommodate such transformers or switch-gear, which the Authority may declare by notice published in the Gazette to be main transmission lines;
"undertaking" means any business for the supply of electricity to the public.
Establishment, Constitution and Membership of the Corporation (ss 3-7)
(1) There is hereby established a Corporation to be known as the Botswana Power Corporation.
(2) The Corporation shall be a body corporate capable of suing and being sued in the name of the Botswana Power Corporation and, subject to the provisions of this Act, of performing such acts as bodies corporate may by law perform.
(1) The Corporation shall consist of a chairman and not less than six nor more than eight other members, who shall be appointed by the Minister by notice published in the Gazette.
(2) In making such appointments the Minister shall take into account the desirability of such interests as are affected by the Corporation's activities being represented.
(3) A person shall be disqualified from being appointed or being a member of the Corporation-
(a) if he is a Member of the National Assembly, or is an employee of the Corporation; or
(b) if he has been declared insolvent or bankrupt under any law in any country and has not been discharged, or has made a composition with his creditors and has not paid his debts in full.
The chairman and any other member of the Corporation may, if not a public officer, resign his office by notice in writing addressed to the Minister, and may be removed from office by the Minister if he-
(a) ceases to hold the office by virtue of which he was appointed;
(b) becomes of unsound mind;
(c) is declared insolvent or bankrupt under any law in force in any country;
(d) suspends payment of his debts or compounds with his creditors;
(e) is absent from three consecutive meetings of the Corporation without such reason as appears to the Minister to be sufficient;
(f) is sentenced to imprisonment without the option of a fine or is convicted of an offence involving dishonesty;
(g) is guilty of serious misconduct in relation to his duties as chairman or member of the Corporation; or
(h) in the case of a person possessed of professional qualifications, is disqualified or suspended, otherwise than at his own request, from practising his profession in Botswana or in any other country by order of any competent authority made in respect of him personally.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.
Please click here to login