ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title
Establishment and functions of Botswana University of Agriculture and Natural Resources
3. Establishment of University
4. Objectives of University
5. Powers and functions of University
6. Seal of University
7. Principal officers of University
10. Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson of Council
11. University Council
12. Powers of Council
13. Tenure of office for Council members
14. Disqualification, suspension and removal from office
15. Vacation of office and filling of vacancies
16. Meetings of Council
17. Disclosure of interest
19. Remuneration and allowances
20. Secretary of Council
22. Internal organisation of University
23. Property and contracts
24. Accounts and audit
25. Annual report
28. Independent assessor
30. Savings and transitional provisions
Act 12, 2015,
S.I. 7, 2016.
An Act to provide for the establishment of the Botswana University of Agriculture and Natural Resources and to provide for its powers and functions and for the governance structures of the University, and for matters connected or incidental thereto.
[Date of commencement: 1st February, 2016]
This Act may be cited as the Botswana University of Agriculture and Natural Resources Act.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires —
“Council” means the University Council established under section 11;
“member” means a member of the Council;
“repealed Act” means the Botswana College of Agriculture Act;
“Statutes” means the Statutes of the University enacted under section 26; and
“University” means the Botswana University of Agriculture and Natural Resources.
Establishment and Functions of Botswana University of Agriculture and Natural Resources
(1) The Botswana College of Agriculture established under section 2 of the repealed Act, is hereby continued under the new name of the Botswana University of Agriculture and Natural Resources and shall continue to exist as if established under this Act.
(2) The University shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal, capable of suing and being sued under its own name, and subject to the provisions of this Act, performing such acts as bodies corporate, may by law perform.
(1) The objectives of the University shall be to provide higher education and training in the field of agriculture and natural resources or related sciences and such other allied and related subjects as the Council may, from time to time determine.
(2) Without derogating from the generality of subsection (1), the University shall —
(a) undertake, promote and facilitate research and scholarly investigations in the field of agriculture and natural resources or related sciences;
(b) advance and disseminate knowledge and skills through teaching, learning and practical skills training in the field of agriculture and natural resources or related sciences;
(c) contribute to national and international scientific and technological development in the field of agriculture and natural resources or related sciences;
(d) support and contribute to the realisations of national economic and social development in the field of agriculture and natural resources or related sciences;
(e) contribute to the cultural and social life of the community in the field of agriculture and natural resources or related sciences; and
(f) advance the intellectual and human resource capacity of the nation of Botswana and the international community in the field of agriculture and natural resources or related sciences.
(1) Subject to this Act and the Statutes, the University shall have the power to do all things necessary and expedient for the exercise and discharge of its functions.
(2) Without derogating from the generality of subsection (1), the University shall have the power to —
(a) establish faculties, institutions, schools, departments or other academic units, whether in Botswana or elsewhere, as the Council may from time to time consider necessary;
(b) establish professorships, lectureships and other posts whether academic or administrative, and fellowships, bursaries, exhibitions, scholarships, prizes and certificates as the Council may from time to time consider necessary;
(c) conduct research on its own or in collaboration with other national or international organisations in the field of agriculture and natural resources or related sciences;
(d) arrange and conduct symposia, workshops, seminars, conferences or similar activities in the field of agriculture and natural resources or related sciences and take whatever steps the Council considers appropriate to stimulate and promote interest in agricultural and economic development;
(e) provide advisory consultancy and other services for the benefit of the Government, organisations, and individuals in the field of agriculture and natural resources or related sciences;
(f) provide programmes and courses of study, conduct examinations and other methods of assessment and award degrees and other qualifications;
(g) establish or participate in the establishment of such commercial, trading, research or other co-operations as may be deemed necessary in the discharge of its functions;
(h) collaborate with such business, professional, cultural, social or other interests within and outside Botswana, as may be deemed necessary in the discharge of its functions;
(i) collaborate with alumni and associations of alumni and graduates of the University;
(j) procure contributions to the funds of the University and raise funds in such manner as the University may deem fit;
(k) receive and accept donations of money or property, on such terms and conditions as shall not be inconsistent with this Act and the functions of the University; and
(l) do all such things and perform all such functions as may be necessary for, or incidental to the attainment of the objectives of the University.
(1) The seal of the University shall be such device as may be prescribed by or under the Statutes.
(2) The affixing of the seal shall be authenticated by the Vice-Chancellor as the chief executive officer of the University or any person authorised in that behalf by the Council.
Governance of University
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.
Please click here to login