<IN:LF:1.64375,RT:1.59722>ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title
Establishment of Land Tribunal
3. Establishment of Land Tribunal
4. Constitution of Land Tribunal
5. Chief Land Tribunal President
6. Taking of oath of office
7. Jurisdiction of Land Tribunal
Proceedings of Land Tribunal
8. Proceedings of Land Tribunal
10. Power to hear evidence
11. Applications to Land Tribunal
12. Failure to prosecute
14. Proceedings in public
15. Competent jurisdiction
16. Referral of dispute to arbitration
18. Decisions in writing
19. Contempt of tribunal
Officers of the Land Tribunal
20. Appointment of Registrar of Land Tribunal
21. Court bailiff
22. Functions of bailiff
23. Police officer and Deputy Sheriff empowered
24. Limitation of liability
26. Saving and transitional
Act 4, 2014,
S.I. 20, 2014.
An Act to establish a Land Tribunal and to provide for matters incidental thereto or connected therewith.
[Date of Commencement: 1st April 2014]
Preliminary [ss 1-2]
This Act may be cited as the Land Tribunal Act.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires-
"bailiff" means a court bailiff of the Land Tribunal appointed in terms of section 21;
"Chief Land Tribunal President" means Land Tribunal President appointed under section 5 (1);
"land dispute" means any dispute concerning land;
"Land Tribunal" means the Land Tribunal established under section 3;
"Land Tribunal President", means a person appointed under section 4 (1) (a) and it includes the Chief Land Tribunal President appointed under section 5 (1);
"member of a Land Tribunal" means a member appointed under section 4 (1) (b) and shall not include, a Land Tribunal President;
"public body" means a land board established under the Tribal Land Act, and a planning authority established under the Town and Country Planning Act; and
"Registrar" means the Registrar of the Land Tribunal appointed in terms of section 20.
Establishment of Land Tribunal (ss 3-7)
(1) There is hereby established a Land Tribunal, which shall have such jurisdiction and powers as shall be conferred on it by this Act or any other written law.
(2) The Land Tribunal may consist of one or more divisions as the Minister may consider necessary to constitute, each headed by a Land Tribunal President.
(1) The Land Tribunal shall comprise of the following members-
(a) Chief Land Tribunal President and such number of Land Tribunal Presidents appointed in accordance with the Public Service Act; and
(b) such other members appointed on contract in accordance with the Public Service Act, holding qualifications in Land management, real estate management, physical planning or related fields.
(2) A person shall not be qualified to be appointed as a Land Tribunal President unless he or she is qualified to practise as an advocate or attorney and has been qualified for not less than ten years to practise as an advocate or attorney.
(3) Where a Land Tribunal President appointed under subsection (1) (a) and subsection (2) is unable, by reason of illness or other sufficient r
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.
Please click here to login