ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title and application
3. Establishment of matimela kraals
4. Matimela officers
5. Councils may make arrangements for collection of matimela
6. Reporting of matimela
7. Driving fees
8. Collecting of matimela
9. Notification of presence of matimela
10. Claiming of matimela
11. Sale of matimela
12. Revenue and expenses in connection with matimela
13. Matimela to continue to be matimela
14. Matimela officer's duty to care for animals
15. Marking of matimela
16. Details of death or injury of animals to be kept
17. Duty to destroy certain animals
18. Carcasses and hides of matimela
19. Matimela kraal book
20. Matimela kraal book to be open for inspection
21. False entries in matimela kraal book
22. Legal proceedings
23. Variation of prescribed periods and times
26. Protection of councils, etc.
Act 25, 1968,
S.I. 79, 1969,
Act 48, 1971,
Act 2, 1975,
Act 21, 1975,
Act 5, 1977,
Act 38, 1977,
Act 20, 2004.
An Act to provide for the collection and disposal of stray livestock in districts and elsewhere and to provide for matters incidental thereto.
[Date of Commencement: 15th August, 1969]
This Act may be cited as the Matimela Act, and shall not apply within the area of a city or township.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires-
"AC brand" means an AC brand as defined in the Branding of Cattle Act;
"animals" means horses, donkeys, mules, cattle, sheep, goats and pigs;
"assistant matimela officer" means a person appointed under section 4 as an assistant matimela officer;
"branded animal" means any animal upon which any AC brand is imprinted and includes unweaned young of any animal upon which any such brand is imprinted;
"Chief" means Chief of a tribal area and includes any person performing the functions of Chief;
"council", in relation to any tribal area, means the District Council within the area in which the tribal area is situated;
"matimela" means any stray animals and any animals which having been stray animals continue to be matimela by virtue of section 13;
"matimela fund" means a fund established under section 12;
"matimela kraal" means a kraal established or deemed to have been established under section 3;
"matimela officer", in relation to any matimela kraal, means the person appointed under section 4 as matimela officer of that kraal, and in the absence or incapacity of such person means the council secretary.
(1) A council may by resolution establish any kraal or enclosure as a matimela kraal for the purposes of this Act.
(2) Any kraal or enclosure in the vicinity of any kgotla in which matimela has, prior to the coming into operation of this Act, been customarily placed shall be deemed to have been established as a matimela kraal under this section.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.
Please click here to login