ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title and commencement
Establishment of Examinations Council
3. Establishment of Council
4. Membership of Council
5. Powers and functions of Council
6. Seal of Council
7. Tenure of office
8. Filling of casual vacancy
9. Disqualification, removal and resignation
10. Disclosure of interest
11. Proceedings of Council
12. Committees of Council
13. Remuneration and allowance
14. Executive Secretary
15. Duties of the Executive Secretary
16. Staff of Council
17. Authorised officers
18. Revenues of Council
19. Financial year
20. Accounts and audit
21. Annual report
23. Transitional provisions
24. Winding up
25. Offence and penalty
Act 11, 2002,
S.I. 81, 2002.
An Act to provide for the establishment of the Botswana Examinations Council to manage and conduct national examinations, to provide for its powers, duties and functions and for matters incidental thereto.
[Date of Commencement: 22nd November, 2002]
Preliminary (ss 1-2)
This Act may be cited as the Botswana Examinations Council Act.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires-
"authorised officer" means a person so designated under section 17;
"candidate" means a person enrolled by the Council for purposes of sitting for an examination;
"Chairman" means Chairman of the Council;
"committee" means a committee of the Council;
"Council" means the Botswana Examinations Council established under section 3;
"examination malpractice" means an act which contravenes examination regulations;
"Executive Secretary" means the Chief Executive of the Council appointed under section 14; and
"member" means a member of the Council.
Establishment of Examinations Council (ss 3-13)
(1) There is hereby established the Botswana Examinations Council.
(2) The Council shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal, capable of suing and being sued in its own name and, subject to the provisions of this Act, of performing such acts as bodies corporate may by law perform.
(1) The Council shall consist of the following members appointed by the Minister-
(a) the Chairman;
(b) the Permanent Secretary to the Ministry responsible for Education;
(c) a representative of the Ministry of Education;
(d) the Director of the Botswana College of Open and Distance Learning;
(e) the Chief Executive of the Botswana Training Authority;
(f) The Chief Executive of the Botswana Examinations Council;
(g) a representative of the University of Botswana;
(h) a representative of the Tertiary Education Council;
(i) a representative from the private education sector;
(j) a representative of a teachers' organisation;
(k) a representative from the private sector;
(l) a representative of the public;
(m) a representative of the Botswana Police Service; and
(n) a representative of the Directorate of the Public Service Management.
(2) The Vice Chairman shall be elected by the members from among their number.
(3) The appointment to the Council shall be published by notice in the Gazette.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.
Please click here to login