ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title and commencement
2. Establishment of University
5. Principal officers
7. Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson of University Council
9. University Council
10. Powers of University Council
11. Tenure of office of Council members
12. Disqualification, removal and resignation of Council members
13. Meetings of University Council
14. Disclosure of interest
17. Internal organisation of University
18. Property and contracts
20. Annual report
21. University statutes
23. Independent assessor or panel
24. Transitional arrangements
Act 3, 2006,
S.I. 40, 2007.
An Act to provide for the establishment of the Botswana International University of Science and Technology
[Date of Commencement: 1st November, 2006]
This Act may be cited as the Botswana International University of Science and Technology Act.
(1) There is hereby established a university under the name of the Botswana International University of Science and Technology (in this Act referred to as "the University").
(2) The University shall be a body corporate, with perpetual succession and a common seal.
The objects of the University shall be-
(a) to provide higher education and training;
(b) to undertake, promote and facilitate research and scholarly investigations;
(c) to advance and disseminate knowledge and skills through teaching, learning and practical skills training;
(d) to contribute to national and international scientific and technological development;
(e) to support and contribute to the realizations of national economic and social development;
(f) to contribute to the cultural and social life of the community; and
(g) to advance the intellectual and human resource capacity of the international community.
(1) Subject to this Act and to the Statutes enacted in terms of section 21, the University shall have the power to do all things necessary or expedient for the exercise and discharge of its functions.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (1), the University shall have the power to-
(a) provide programmes and courses of study, conduct examinations and other methods of assessment, and award degrees and other qualifications;
(b) establish relationships and collaborate with other persons or bodies, or other institutions of learning, higher education, training or research, within or outside Botswana, upon such terms as may be provided in the Statutes;
(c) establish or participate in the establishment of such commercial, trading, research or other corporations as may be deemed necessary in the discharge of its functions;
(d) collaborate with such business, professional, cultural, social or other interests, within and outside Botswana, as may be deemed necessary in the discharge of its functions;
(e) collaborate with alumni and associations of alumni and graduates of the University;
(f) procure contributions to the funds of the University, and raise funds in such other manner as the University may deem fit;
(g) receive and accept donations of money or property, on such terms and conditions as shall not be inconsistent with this Act and the functions of the University.
The principal officers of the University shall be the Chancellor, the Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson of the University Council, the Vice-Chancellor and such Deputy Vice-Chancellors as may be appointed under section 8 (3).
(1) The Chancellor of the University shall be the President of the Republic of Botswana or such emin
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.
Please click here to login