ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title
Establishment, Constitution and Membership of Corporation
3. Establishment of Corporation
4. Composition of Corporation
5. Resignation and removal from office
6. Tenure of office
7. Payment of members
Meetings and Proceedings of Board
9. Signification of documents
Officers, Employees and Agents of Corporation
10. Appointment of officers and employees
11. Delegation to committee
Functions, Powers and Duties of Corporation
12. Functions and powers
13. Co-operation with authorities
14. Research and records
15. Power of Minister to give directions
16. Principles of financial operations
17. Establishment of subsidiaries, etc.
18. Borrowing powers
19. Liability to pay tax, etc.
20. Accounts and audit
21. Annual report
22. Compulsory acquisition of land
23. Resettlement measures
24. Compensation for loss or damage
25. Power to call for information
26. Protection from personal liability
Act 3, 1980,
S.I. 46, 1980,
Act 16, 1996.
An Act to provide for the establishment of a Corporation to be known as the Botswana Telecommunications Corporation for the provision, development, operation and management of Botswana's National and International Public Telecommunications Services and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
[Date of Commencement: 1st April, 1980]
Preliminary (ss 1-2)
This Act may be cited as the Botswana Telecommunications Corporation Act.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires-
"Corporation" means the Botswana Telecommunications Corporation established under section 3;
"financial year" means the year ending on 31st March in each year;
"prescribed" means prescribed by regulations made under section 26 of the Telecommunications Act;
"telecommunications services" includes telephone, telex, telegraph, data facsimile and leased circuit services, together with appropriate terminal equipment;
"telephone lines" means all cables and overhead lines, whether constructed or due to be constructed, for the connection of subscribers or the interconnection of exchanges, together with any junctions or other equipment necessary to effect these connections;
"undertaking" means any business for the provision of telecommunications services.
Establishment, Constitution and Membership of Corporation (ss 3-7)
(1) There is hereby established a corporation to be known as the Botswana Telecommunications Corporation.
(2) The Corporation shall be a body corporate capable of suing and of being sued in the name of the Botswana Telecommunications Corporation and, subject to the provisions of this Act, of performing such acts as bodies corporate may by law perform.
(1) The governing body of the Corporation shall be a Board consisting of the following members appointed by the Minister-
(a) the chairman;
(b) the chief executive of the Corporation appointed under section 10, ex officio; and
(c) not less than five or more than seven other persons who in the opinion of the Minister have knowledge and experience likely to contribute to the successful management of the Corporation.
(2) A person shall not be competent to be appointed or to act as a member of the Board if-
(a) he is a Member of the National Assembly;
(b) he is an employee of the Corporation; or
(c) he has been declared insolvent or bankrupt under any law in any country and has not been discharged, or has made a composition with his creditors and has not paid his debts in full.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.
Please click here to login