HIDES AND SKINS EXPORT: SUBSIDIARY LEGISLATION
INDEX TO SUBSIDIARY LEGISLATION
(under section 5)
(1st September, 1955)
ARRANGEMENT OF REGULATIONS
3. Licences required to purchase hides and skins
4. Licence required for export of hides or skins
5. Hide and skin buyer's licence
6. Green hide licence
8. Exporter's licence
9. Applications for licences
10. General conditions of licences
11. Conduct of business
14. Inferior hides and skins
17. Cancellation and suspension of licences
18. Powers of inspection and entry to premises and seizure of exhibits
19. Search of vehicles
20. Obstructing an officer carrying out the provisions of these Regulations
21. Delegation of powers
First Schedule - Preparation of Green Hides and Skins
Second Schedule - Fees
Third Schedule - Minimum Standards for Premises and Storage of Hides and Skins
Fourth Schedule - Grades of Hides and Skins
Fifth Schedule - Grading Note
Sixth Schedule - Information Relating to Business
Seventh Schedule - Information to be Submitted Monthly
H.C.N. 122, 1955,
G.N. 34, 1955,
S.I. 94, 2004.
These Regulations may be cited as the Hides and Skins Regulations.
In these Regulations, unless the context otherwise requires-
"completely dried" means, in relation to a ground or suspension dried hide or skin, one in which when protected from rain and freely suspended under an impervious roof for 24 hours will not lose more than three percent of its weight, at the time of suspension, by evaporation of water;
"ground dried" means in relation to an air dried hide or skin that it has been completely dried but has not been suspension dried;
"green", in relation to a hide or skin, means that it has not been wholly or partly dried, salted, pickled or tanned;
"prepared", in relation to a hide or skin, means that it is other than green;
"pickled" means a hide or skin from which the hair or wool has been removed and its pelt preserved by treatment with a solution of acid and salt;
"tanned" means a hide or skin treated so as to convert its substance into leather;
"veterinary officer" means any senior veterinary officer, veterinary officer, livestock officer, stock inspector or hide improvement officer.
(1) Notwithstanding any provision of any other law no person shall purchase any hide or skin, whether green or prepared, unless he is in possession of a licence issued under the provisions of these Regulations entitling him to purchase green hides and skins or prepared hides and skins, as the case may be, and unless the purchase occurs at a place at which the purchaser is entitled, by virtue of the terms of his licence, to make such a purchase:
Provided that nothing in these Regulations shall apply to the purchase of hides or skins for the making of harness for yoke oxen or for the making of thongs for domestic purposes.
(2) Any person who purchases a hide or skin otherwise than in accordance with the provisions of this regulation shall be guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding P200 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year:
Provided that in any prosecution under this regulation the onus shall be upon the accused to prove that purchased hides or skins were purchased for the making of harness for yoke oxen or for the making of thongs for domestic purposes, if he so alleges.
Any person who exports from Botswana any hide or skin without being in possession of an exporter's licence issued under the provisions of these Regulations shall be guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding P400 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years.
A hide and skin buyer's licence issued under the provisions of these Regulations shall entitle the holder thereof to purchase, subject to the provisions of regulation 11, prepared hides and skins at the premises designated in the licence.
(1) A green hide licence issued under the provisions of these Regulations shall entitle the holder to purchase green hides and skins at any place within the district designated in the licence, and to prepare green hides at the premises designated in the licence:
Provided that the preparation of green hides shall be carried out in accordance with the provisions of the First Schedule hereto.
(2) Any holder of a green hide licence who prepared green hides otherwise than in accordance with the provisions of the First Schedule or at premises other than the premises designated in his licence shall be guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding P100 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding three months.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.
Please click here to login